Amman and Beirut 15th – 23rd March2015
Visits were made to
- A community project in Amman run by Um Jassar
- Um Ismail, leader of a woman’s embroidery group “Hope” part of Al Amal, a Baqaa camp community organisation.
- Faiha Abdulhadi a writer and Researcher Consultant who is working on Palestinian memory through “ِAl Rowat for Studies and Research.
- Independent meetings/discussions were held with the PHT Patron Ghada Karmi.
- A meeting and visit with Widad Kawar owner of the Tiraz Centre, www.tirazcentre.org home of Arab dress.
All of these visits and discussions gave us positive ideas for the future of embroidery in Jordan.
When in Beirut, three years ago, we tried to establish an interest in the project with embroidery groups based in refugee camps. We made contact with Mahmoud Zeidan a Palestinian who has been interested in the project since our original visit. Mahmoud made a few phone calls and visits and suggested someone he thought might be suitable for the role of coordinator in Lebanon. We met with Riham Khalil from Saida a mother of three who was very enthusiastic about volunteering to help with the project. We agreed together that she would be able to fulfil the role of coordinator
It was a successful visit and future visits are planned.